Author Topic: Graphical questions  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Striker

• Cadet
Graphical questions
« on: April 28, 2017, 04:48:50 pm »
I haven't tried to play with anything graphically but found the motivation to try and fix a few things. First off is there a way to disable team colors in skirmish since I'm using Jeroenimo's RE mod as a base for a personal mod and I've added a few Warb ships which look great but the team colors just make them look out of place next to all the other models in the game.

Secondly is a new error I've only seen twice but I downloaded Sly's Immobilizer from the add on section and put all the models and textures in the proper places and it looks good in the ALO viewer but when it spawns in game it was completely green (green was my team color too) though the turrets were textured properly. Same thing happened with another model before and I just moved on but that interdictor looks good so I'm feeling motivated to fix the problem. I read something somewhere about people using different shaders which may not be compliant with other mods so is this a hard one to fix?

Offline Bucman55

• Ensign
Re: Graphical questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 05:47:23 pm »
You have to have some kind of software that can edit alpha layers to get rid of team colors. Photoshop is probably the most commonly used software capable of this, though I use this software : http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Did it look like a ship painted green or a pure green thing floating in space? If it's the former, that's a team colors thing. If it's the latter, I can't help there.

Offline Striker

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 05:58:39 pm »
I do have photoshop so I'll look into the team color thing and texturing tutorials. Was hoping it could be a coding thing which I'm much more comfortable with. Thanks for the feedback.

It was a neon green blob not the same color as the team color. It would move but none of the hard points would target but the turrets were attached. Strange thing I've only seen one other time when I saw the MC-80 wingless model was in the RE mod so I figured I'd code it in and it showed up the same neon green blob.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:03:13 pm by Striker »

Offline Striker

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 01:56:07 am »
So my ship does turn the faction color. It's just solidly that color and the weapons don't work and the turrets also are the same color as the ship. I put a different turret on their and the texture was correct but it also didn't fire.

Offline Kad_Venku

• Administrator
  • Senior Lt.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:11:19 pm »
Solid neon green usually means that you're missing a shader.

Offline Striker

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 06:15:09 pm »
How do you add a shader or even know what shader you need to add? I've been looking it up some and it appears there's an GraphicDetails.xml file that you can modify to make your game run on higher graphics but would that change anything?

Offline Kad_Venku

• Administrator
  • Senior Lt.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 10:38:11 pm »
If it is a missing shader, you should receive an error message when opening the model with the alo viewer.
That error message should then tell you which exact files you're missing.

Offline Striker

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 11:35:18 pm »
Well that's the weird thing it opens fine in the ALO viewer but maybe there's something in the notes I didn't see.

Offline Kad_Venku

• Administrator
  • Senior Lt.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 11:59:21 am »
If you point me to the model in question, I can have a look at it myself, but don't expect too much, as I'm not that proficient with models/textures.

Offline Striker

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 05:40:41 pm »
Here's the link from the addon section for FOC

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-empire-at-war-forces-of-corruption/addons/interdictor-cruiser

I tried adding it to Jeroenimo's RE mod. I added all the textures and models in and checked it in the ALO viewer and looks great but then in game it has issues. I've never seen an issue where if it works in ALO it doesn't work in game and I don't know how you can mess up the code to mess up the graphics. New territory from me and in the past I'd cut my losses and find a different model but I really like this one so decided it's time to learn something new. Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 05:42:24 pm by Striker »

Offline Kad_Venku

• Administrator
  • Senior Lt.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 03:17:08 pm »
I've implemented the unit in the base game and I'm not able to reproduce the issue... So I'm not too sure what else could be causing it.

Offline Striker

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 04:56:04 pm »
I'm going to try and implement it in another mod and try to start again from scratch and see what happens. If it works in the base game then I'm not sure how it wouldn't work in a mod. No clue on anything shaders but I'm guessing a mod would add shaders instead of removing them so anything that works in the base game should work in a mod? Or do you change the base shaders? Just curious how these things work.

Offline Striker

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 10:10:50 pm »
Weird I tried it in the Legacy era mod and same thing so I created a new mod and put them in the right data folders and it works still in the ALO viewer then the only code I changed was replaced the interdictor model with it and still the same error. My computer must not like it for some reason and I guess when I get back home I'll try to re download it and see if maybe the download was corrupted. Thanks for trying.

Offline Kad_Venku

• Administrator
  • Senior Lt.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 10:12:53 pm »
Changing shaders or editing them can cause issues.
Every shader included with a mod overrides the base game shader. And the map editor in turn corrupts shaders.
Basically: A lot of stuff can go wrong with shaders.

Offline Striker

• Cadet
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 03:19:26 pm »
Well figured I might as well share since I finally found the error. Problem was an all white alpha layer in the model so the fix was the same as removing the team color and open the texture and make the alpha layer black instead of white.