Author Topic: Need a model/animation for R&D  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Gaukler

• Foreigner
Need a model/animation for R&D
« on: May 04, 2017, 03:08:34 pm »
I'm currently working on an .alo and .ala importer for Blender. I already have the mesh, UVs, textures and bones working. However I have problems getting the animations to work properly. An animation from the game to look at would be extremely helpful. I don't have an old 3ds version to do it myself - one of the reasons Im working on the importer. What I need is the Urai Fen model, playing UI_URAI_FEN_ATTACK_00 as a .obj or an other commonly used format.
Another animation/model from the game would work too, but some things in the current iteration of the importer are still hardcoded, so it'd be unnecessary extra work for me.

Offline Kad_Venku

• Administrator
  • Senior Lt.
Re: Need a model/animation for R&D
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 03:15:47 pm »
That's some great news.
Are you only working on an importer, or an exporter as well?

In any case I'm happy to assist. That should be the UI version of Urai, if I recall correctly. I'll link you to the model as soon as I'm home.

Offline Gaukler

• Foreigner
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 03:20:56 pm »
I will work on an exporter as soon as Im finished with the importer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:35:45 pm by Gaukler »

Offline Striker

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 04:58:45 pm »
That would be a huge breakthrough so guys like me who don't have 3DS max can download blender and play with models. Nice work!

Offline Kad_Venku

• Administrator
  • Senior Lt.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:02:52 pm »
@Gaukler There you go:
The link is going to expire in a week.

I've exported as obj with default settings.
If you need the model in any other format or with specific settings, I can export that as well.

It's amazing that you're working on this. This is one of the things that is direly needed. Max9 is causing so many headaches, being able to get rid of it in favour of blender, would be amazing.

Offline Gaukler

• Foreigner
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:24:02 pm »
It seems .obj is not a good format for this, the entire geometry is merged into one, but even worse is that there's no bones and no animation.
Sorry I should have tested the format beforehand. Can you export the file as .fbx ? That supports bones and animations.

Offline Kad_Venku

• Administrator
  • Senior Lt.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 08:22:51 pm »
@Gaukler And there you go. Though the shadow mesh might have gotten corrupted during the export. (Not a closed volume, blah blah blah ...)

And again, the link is only valid for a week.

Offline Gaukler

• Foreigner
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:05:36 pm »
Blender says it can only import newer versions, so yeah...however I put far too much time into programming today and solved the major issues. The animation is already imported and working, there's just a minor problem with the location. After I fixed that I will refine the code and remove any hacks and specific workarounds I used.
I'm actually starting to think this entire thing might work out  ;D
Anyway thanks for the help!

Offline Kad_Venku

• Administrator
  • Senior Lt.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 10:12:25 pm »
The fbx version is too old ... yes, makes sense, seen as we have to use Max8 or Max9 to use the importer/exporter.
I should have seen that one coming ... Welcome to working with Empire at War, where the tools are either too old, too obscure or way too buggy -- or a combination of the three.

But it's great to hear that you were able to fix the animation anyways.

Offline TheDoctor

• Foreigner
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 10:37:43 am »
Blender says it can only import newer versions, so yeah...however I put far too much time into programming today and solved the major issues. The animation is already imported and working, there's just a minor problem with the location. After I fixed that I will refine the code and remove any hacks and specific workarounds I used.
I'm actually starting to think this entire thing might work out  ;D
Anyway thanks for the help!

Sorry to necro, but by any chance was the ALO importer ever released? Would love a Blender version